April 30, 2020
- 12 Baby Bella mushrooms, about the same size, wiped with damp paper towel
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 2 - 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pinch dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 tbsp basil
- dash of crushed red pepper flakes
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup panko
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a sided baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove stems from mushrooms and dice, set aside.
- Rub each mushroom cap with a bit of olive oil and set them on the baking sheet, stem side up.
- In a large bowl mix together panko and all seasonings such as oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, parmesan, and salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- In a sauté pan over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and butter, then the onions.
- Saute for 2-3 minutes, then add diced mushroom stems.
- Sauté for 3 or 4 minutes, then add the red pepper and zucchini and cook until zucchini begins to soften.
- When the onions have turned translucent, add the garlic.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the rest of the ingredients, up to and including the Mozzarella. Stir to combine.
- Let cool a bit, then stuff each mushroom.
- Sprinkle parmesan on top.
- Bake until the parmesan cheese is melting, and the mushrooms have sweat a little bit (about 20 minutes).
- Remove from the oven and top with a pinch of grated parmesan. Garnish with a pinch of basil.
Serve warm or room temperature.