- 8 tbsps Butter, divided
- 2 cups Onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 6 ozs Cremini mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 6 ozs Oyster mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 6 ozs Shitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps chopped
- 6 ozs King Trumpet mushrooms, sliced into 1/4" pieces
- 1 tbsp Fresh thyme, chopped
- 3 tbsps Brandy
- 2 tbsps All-purpose flour
- 4 cups Beef broth
- 2 tbsps Fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsps Cilantro, chopped for garnish
This one of my very favorite (and most satisfying) soup recipes. It requires a little bit of prep time, but it’s so flavorful and pairs perfectly with big red wines. This savory soup, a piece of crusty bread, and a glass of our Calistoga Cabernet make a hearty meal. Our 2016 Sta. Rita Hills Pinot Noir would also pair perfectly. I often double this recipe, so I’ll have some leftover for another day.
Melt 6 tablespoons of butter in a large pot over medium-high heat.
Add onions; sauté until golden, about 5 min.
Add the Cremini, Oyster and Shitake mushrooms and thyme; sauté until mushrooms begin to brown, about 8 min. Set aside.
Add King Trumpet mushrooms and sauté with garlic in 2 tablespoons of butter
Combine all mushrooms in a large pot
Add brandy; stir 30 seconds, then mix in flour
Slowly stir in broth; bring soup to boil
Reduce heat; simmer uncovered 10 minutes
Add lime juice
Season with salt and pepper
Ladle into bowls and garnish with cilantro
You can make this soup a day in advance, store in the refrigerator, and heat before serving. You can substitute any of the mushrooms listed for another more readily available type of mushroom.